POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "What every programmer should know about RAM" : Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM" Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM"
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Apr 2008 16:03:20
Message: <480cf308$1@news.povray.org>
>> I still kinda wish you could actually build a PC that had several GB of
>> RAM running at the same speed as the CPU - but I'm guessing it might be,
>> uh, slightly expensive?
>
> Very slightly...
> To give you an idea, I've jsut bought components for a new PC. CPU is a quad
> core running at 2.4 GHz.
> I can get 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 memory for around R250. I can get 2 GB of
> 1066 MHz memory (same speed as the FSB) for around R800

Except that - as the guy pointed out - it's *not* the same speed as the
CPU. It's actually 566 MHz, double-pumped. And the RAM itself is running
at a lowly 266 MHz. No wonder it takes > 200 cycles to access main
memory... :-S

Still, if you had 2 GB of true multi-GHz Static RAM, you'd need an
address decoder the size of a small planet. The ripple time would
probably slow it right back down anyway...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/